Tag Archives: holiday
10 Quick tips on how to plan your stay when living abroad or traveling
Living abroad or traveling – tips for exploring and sightseeing
When I arrive in a new place I’m always eager to explore the surroundings. Sometimes I already know what I would like to see, sometimes I don’t have a clue. One thing I know though is that I don’t want to leave feeling I have missed out on places and things to discover simply because it “just didn’t happen”. This is an advice I always share with expats getting ready to leave for a new destination; do not go back without stories to tell, and memories to savor! We all know that time flies so start planning your stay abroad! Below I’m sharing some of my tips to help exploring a new location. They are not only valid for living abroad but work for traveling and vacation too!
10 Quick tips on how not to miss out on places to go when living abroad or traveling
Here are a few tips for your inspiration
on planning what you want to experience in your adopted country and to get you going!
- Start right away
- Try apps such as Stuck on Earth or let Google World Wonders Project inspire you.
- Stock up on guide books – still my favorite source for inspiration, and excellent to save as memories. Notes in them makes it more personal!
- Ask people for tips – in person or on internet forums.
- Local papers – ads and what-to-dos sections can provide ideas even if you don’t master the language.
- Don’t limit yourself to searching the Internet – there are lots of accounts on
Twitter providing tips on cities and regions. Facebook and Google+ works too! Instagram needless to say offers travel eye candy!
- Take into account how long your expatriate / travel adventure is planned to last.
- Make a list of want-to-sees, top priorities first.
- Schedule trips and visits for your stay. Actual dates are great but “in May”, “by end of summer” and “3 things off the list in a month” works well!
- Be realistic! Don’t overdo it but make sure you do do it! Happy discovering when living abroad!